Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bearing One Another’s Burdens

I had a visiting teacher, once, who was always there for me. If I had a sudden need arise, I could call her and no matter if she had a cake in the oven, was still in her pajamas, or had had an exhausting day, she would drop anything and come. She was an amazing woman. And I knew that she loved me far beyond her calling to serve me as a visiting teacher.

I’m not that good. But I do know that the best way to show our love for God is to show love to each other. The Lord counts on us to be there for each other when He cannot personally, physically, be there to strengthen, comfort, and satisfy our needs.

At the Last Supper, Jesus plead: “Little children, yet a little while I am with you.…Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another” (John 13:33-34). In His absence, He gave his disciples each other.

Likewise, the Lord cares so deeply about us that He gave us each a Visiting Teacher (or two) to meet our needs. It is a marvelous plan created by a wise and loving Heavenly Father, that allows for both personal growth and succor during times of need. This plan is foiled, however when we either fail to serve or fail to accept service.

Do we know what the needs are of those we visit teach? Do we do our best to meet them? Or are we too busy, too distracted, or oblivious to their needs? Are the sisters you visit at church each Sunday? If not, do you know why?

On the other hand, how often do our needs go unmet because of pride? Do we choose to carry burdens alone that could be shared? Do we feel lonely, isolated, or discouraged? Does not God weep to see us struggle, our lack provided for yet refused?

We each have very busy, complex lives. Sometimes it may seem we barely have enough time or energy to take care of our own problems. But the choice to serve is just that—a choice. By obediently serving we unleash the power of God “to prepare a way… that [we] may accomplish the thing which he commandeth [us]” (1 Nephi 3:7). And having served, our own burdens will be lightened.

There, go find someone to love.

No comments: